Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

How do I enroll at the Davis Tech?

In general, you will need to complete an on-line admissions application, take the admissions assessments, and then visit Student Services to set up a class schedule. Many programs have specific admissions standards and some have a competitive application process. To find the information for the specific program that interests you, start with our list of programs and then click on the program of your choice. There you’ll find all of the details regarding enrollment in that program along with a link to the on-line admissions application.

I'm an adult, but I didn't finish high school. Can I still enroll at the Davis Tech?

Enrollment at the Davis Tech for adults is limited to those who have a high school diploma or equivalent. Students who are still of high school age, of course, do not need a diploma.

Adults who need to prepare for the GED, or want to pursue an adult diploma, can contact the Davis District Adult Education program. Information about this program is available at 801-402-0720

What are the 'admissions assessments'?

We want to give you the best chance to succeed, so before you start we check to make sure that your math, reading and language skills are appropriate for the program you’ve chosen. You can learn more about the test you’ll take on the Program Admissions web page. If your scores are a little low, don’t worry. We have classes to help build your skills so you can succeed in your chosen training program.

What if I'm not sure what to study?

We’ll be happy to help you identify careers that would be a good match for your interests and abilities. Please contact Student Services and ask to speak to a Career Advisor.

How much does it cost?

There is a small registration fee to get started. After that, tuition is charged per enrolled hour. On each program page you’ll find information about the total cost for the specific program.

Do you have a cafeteria?

Yes. The “Corner Café” is located on the east side of our main building and is open on school days for breakfast and lunch.

Can I get Financial Aid?

Davis Tech offers Federal Financial Aid (Pell grants), VA benefits and scholarships. To learn more about Financial Aid, you can check out

To begin the Financial Aid application process, you can find application information at

How do I pay my tuition?

You can pay your tuition in person at the cashier's desk in student services using cash, check, Master Card or Visa or on the Student Portal.

What is the Davis Tech Refund Policy?

You can find the full Davis Tech Refund policy on our Student Policy page.

What will my class schedule be?

Your class schedule will be determined by the availability of the course or program that you take. The availability of classes is listed on the individual web pages for each program. When you enroll, a member of the Student Services staff will assist you in creating a schedule and can advise you on what you will need to do if you have to change that schedule.

High school students may choose to have a schedule that coincides with the morning bell schedule at their high school. To request early arrival, high school students may visit the Student Services Office.

Will you help me get a job?

The entire purpose of the training at the Davis Tech is to prepare you for a job and we want to give you the best chance possible at finding employment. Our Job Placement Office provides a variety of services to students and employers.

Do you offer services for students with disabilities?

We do offer accommodations and support to students with disabilities. For more information on the services offered and how you can apply for them, please go to the Services to Students with Disabilities page, or click the 'Students with Disabilities' tab at the top.

How long will it take to finish my training?

The length of each program is based on the skills that you’ll need to learn to succeed in your chosen career. You can find the length of your program by going to the Program Page and selecting your program from the list. You’ll find the number of hours you’ll need to complete as well as an estimate of the number of months it will take you to finish the work, based on full-time enrollment.

What about attendance and grades?

Each program at Davis Tech has a written orientation which includes information about attendance and grade expectations and requirements for that particular program. If you have questions about these expectations and requirements, please talk to your instructor.

Are there any holidays from school?

There are several non-school days during the year. These dates can be found on the school calendar.

I have credit from another school that I’d like to transfer in. What should I do?

In general, you will need to have your transcripts and academic records evaluated by a member of our faculty so that they can decide what Davis Tech will be able to accept. Click here for full details on the Transfer of Credit policy.

Will the courses I take at the Davis Tech count for credit at other colleges?

The decision to accept credit is always decided by the receiving institution. However, many of our programs have formal articulation agreements with local colleges. Your instructor(s) will be able to provide you with details specific to your program of study.

How can I get a transcript of my course work at the Davis Tech?

You may obtain a copy of your transcript, by completing the ‘Transcript Request Form’ which is found at the bottom of the records page.

How can I get copies of other academic records such as verification of enrollment?

If you’d like verification of enrollment, please complete the ‘Enrollment Verification Form’ which can be found on the Records page. Other kinds of academic records can be requested from Davis Tech Registrar by calling Student Services at 801-593-2332.

Where can I go to buy books and supplies for school?

Davis Tech has an on-campus bookstore for your convenience. You can find out more about the bookstore.

Do you have a library?

Reference materials relevant to your training are available in the Student Resource Centers which are located in each classroom.

When I’ve completed my training, what do I have to do?

If you’re ready to leave Davis Tech, please come to Student Services to officially withdraw. If you have completed your program and you’re ready to graduate, we will assist you in completing your graduation paperwork so that you can receive your certificate as well as an invitation to attend the graduation ceremony.

What is 'course-based'?

Course-based means that you purchase a course and have a set period of time to complete it. When you purchase the course you will set a schedule in the classroom which will reserve space for you to work on the course. The end date for the course will be calculated based on the schedule you select. In addition, your attendance will be tracked. Different courses may have different requirements for attendance, so it is important that you meet with your instructor at the beginning of each new course. The course curriculum will also state the attendance requirement.

How long will I have to finish my course?

We calculate the course end-date by dividing the length of the course by the number of hours you are scheduled (taking into account weekends, holidays and other non-school days). The end date will be printed on your schedule and is available to your instructor. Based on this calculation, if you sign up for a 90 hour course and have a 12-hour-per-week schedule, you will have 7.5 weeks (90 hours divided by 12 hours-per-week) to complete the course.

What if I want to enroll for less than 12 hours per week?

If you are a "certificate seeking" student, you must schedule a minimum of 12 hours-per-week and your schedule will be made up of three hour blocks (morning, afternoon, evening). You may select any combination of blocks which suits your individual situation. You can enroll for more than 12 hours-per-week if you would prefer. Once you have selected a schedule for a particular class, you may not change it, so please choose carefully.

Students who are not "certificate seeking" may enroll for as few as six hours per week.

In order to be considered a half-time student, you must be enrolled for at least 12 hours-per-week. If you want to be considered full-time, you'll need to be enrolled at least 24-hours-week. 

It is important to note, however, that many sponsors require that students maintain full-time status.

How am I charged for the class?

When you sign up for the course, you'll be expected to pay the full cost of the course up-front. To find the cost for the course, go to the web page for your program. You'll find up-to-date cost information including the tuition and fees for all of the courses.

What happens if I drop the course?

If you drop a course during the first five school days and have not submitted any work to be entered into your student record, you are eligible for a complete withdrawal from the course and a full refund of the course tuition and fees. 

After the fifth day, you are committed to the class and are no longer eligible for either withdrawal or refund. Similarly, once you submit work that is entered into your student record, you are no longer eligible for withdrawal or refund.

When do I go to class?

You are expected to be in class during any session listed on your schedule. Please note that for liability reasons, students who are not on the roll for a given time cannot be in the classroom or lab.

Do I have to attend class?

Your attendance will be tracked. When you go to class, you'll clock in and out on the student station near the door. Your clock-ins will be compared against your schedule to calculate an attendance percentage. Check with your instructor (and sponsor if you have one) to find out what the attendance requirements are for your program.

What happens if I don't finish the course by the end date?

When you pay for the class, you are reserving a seat in the classroom for enough time to complete all of the course work. If you don't finish on time, you'll need to re-register for the course and pay again. 

This is similar to what happens in traditional colleges when you take an incomplete or otherwise need to re-take a course.

If I re-take a course, do I have to start from the beginning and re-do all of the work?

No. When you re-register for a course, you may begin at the last point you completed and work to the end of the course.

What happens if I finish the course early?

If you finish a class early you have the option to register for a new class and get started right away. You have up to five business days to schedule and start your next class. If you opt to not attend between the day you finish and the end date printed on your schedule, you will be marked absent for any days that you are not in attendance.

Do I get a refund if I finish the class early?

No. When you pay for a course, you are paying for the course - not for the time you spend completing it. Once you have completed the course, you have received what you paid for.

Do I have to be in a class to be considered 'enrolled' at the Davis Tech?

Yes. If you do not have an active class on your schedule, you aren't considered 'enrolled'.

Am I considered a full-time student if I'm taking a class?

Davis Tech standard for full time enrollment is 24 - 30 hours per week. You can take two courses simultaneously with a schedule of 12 - 15 hours-per-week in each or one course with a schedule of 24-30 hours-per-week.

What if I need to take a break when I'm in the middle of the class?

So long as you are abiding by your instructor's classroom policies and communicating with your instructor, you are free to take time off during the class. Just remember that it is your responsibility to complete designated course work in the classroom and complete the course by the end date and to meet the attendance standards set by your program and your sponsors.

How much time do I have between classes to get into my next class?

From the time you withdraw from a class, you have five business days to enroll in and start your next class. If you do not start the next class by the fifth business day, you will be subject to a $12 re-enrollment fee. Please note that if you complete your class early and choose to not attend between the day you finish and the end date printed on your schedule, you will be marked absent for any days that you are not in attendance.

What if I've completed an equivalent course somewhere else and want to get credit for that instead of taking the class at the Davis Tech?

If you believe a class you have taken somewhere else is equivalent to a course required by Davis Tech, please bring a copy of your transcript (official or unofficial) and a copy of the course description from the other school to your Davis Tech instructor before you enroll in the course. Your instruct will evaluate the course description and may be able to waive the equivalent Davis Tech course at no cost to you. 

You cannot waive more than 50% of the course in your program.

Is there a way to challenge a course (like you would 'CLEP' out of a class at a traditional college)?

Yes. The training at Davis Tech is competency-based, which means that if you can show that you're competent, you can earn the credit.

To demonstrate competency for a course, you'll need to let us know that you intend to take the test before you enroll in the class. You can do this in Student Services.

When you tell us that you intend to demonstrate competency, you'll need to pay a $35 assessment fee. After you pay the fee, you'll be issued a voucher with the name of the course and the date by which you must complete the test. 

Take the voucher to your instructor as soon as you're ready and they'll give you the test. If you pass, your instructor will sign the voucher and you can return it to our Assessment Center (in Student Services) to have it recorded as part of your official transcript.

How much is tuition?

Tuition cost is $2.10/hour, with student fees at $.35/hour, and additional fees may apply depending on the course. Tuition and related fees will be calculated by course based upon the number of hours within the course . Your specific tuition bill will be calculated when you meet with a representative of Davis Tech. Tuition is due when you register for a course.

What other fees do I need to know about?
Additional Fees (non-refundable)
$0.04/hour NorthStar Student Information System Fee
$0.17/hour Student Services & Assessment Fee
$0.16/hour Building Support Fee
$0.13/hour Technology Fee
$0.06/hour Student Transportation Fee
$40.00 High School Annual Fee
$45.00 Registration Fee
$12.00 Re-enrollment Fee – This fee applies to students who withdraw and subsequently re-enroll within a 12 month time frame.
$5.00 Schedule Change Fee – This fee is assessed for any student-initiated schedule changes.
$10.00 Late Payment Fee – This fee will be charged if payment or sponsorship voucher is received after the date due, regardless of weekends or holidays.
$3.00 Transcript Fee
$18.00 Certificate Filing Fee
  • All per hour fees are charged to all post-secondary students, including those
    whose contract specifies tuition only.
  • Lab fees for specific courses are charged in addition to the amounts listed above.
  • For students classified as non-resident, tuition is $7.35 per hour.
What hours are your classes available?

Information about when the classes are available are on each program page. Look at the bottom of the "Quick Facts" section on the right side of each page.

Where is your phone directory?

The directory is located from the main menu under '/About/Department Directory', or click here.

Is there a job board for students?

Yes, you can get to the Student Job Board under the 'Jobs' tab in the main navigation, or just click here.

Will I have help finding work after I complete my program?

Yes. The Placement Center and your instructors are available to help you with resumes, interviewing skills, and related topics. We also list current open positions on our Student Job Board.

Do I need to call in to excuse absences?

No. It will be an absence.

How do I obtain a copy of my test results?

Test results can be acquired by a request in person, by mail, or by fax. Click here to download the form. Requests will not be accepted by phone or email. A large 4” x 6” photocopy of your picture identification (ID) such as Driver License or other government-issued photo ID, must accompany your request form along with the $10.00.


If the Bookstore doesn't have the book I need on the shelf how can I get a copy of the book I need/want?
The Bookstore is able to order almost any book that is currently in print. Please contact the Bookstore at 801-593-2451 for details and availability.
What does Academic Price mean?
Many software and hardware manufacturers offer discounts to students hoping that the student will become familiar with their products. All products that are marked Academic Price are the same product that you would buy from a normal retail channel, only at a discounted for sale to academic market only. Sometimes that discount is up to 70%.
What are the store hours?

Monday – Thursday 7:30am to 7:30pm
Friday 7:30am to 3:30pm

Where does my New Textbook dollar go?

Download this PDF for a breakdown of your textbook dollar.

How do I find the textbook I need for my class?

Follow these steps to be able to find the material you will need for class.

Attend class and get a list of required materials from your instructor.

Textbooks are arrange on the shelf by Department and Subject. Curriculum is available in the curriculum area as you enter the Bookstore. If needed, ask a Bookstore associate for assistance.

What is the textbook buy-back program?

Textbook Buyback is used to gain the textbooks we will be using at the Davis Technical College. Typically you will receive 50% of the New Textbook price, based on the condition of the book and whether this book is going to be used again at Davis Tech. Buyback is conducted every day of the School Year.

What are the return/exchange policies?

Save your receipt! Original Receipt is required for all refunds and exchanges. No exceptions.

  • All Sales are final on the 7th Business day following purchase.
  • Exception: Short Length Class materials are refundable for Only One Business Day.
  • Defective Merchandise will be exchanged for the same or similar merchandise within 30 days of receipt. After 30 days refer to manufacturer warranty.
  • Shrink-wrapped / packaged merchandise is NON-Returnable once opened.
  • All Curriculum sales are final. No returns or exchanges.
  • After 7 business days, textbooks will be given Buyback price if the book is still a current edition and in resalable condition.
  • Refund is cash or credit based on purchase method.
  • Clearance items are sold as-is and are non returnable.

Practical Nurse

I am completely new to nursing/medical professions. Where should I start?

A great place to start is the Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) course which is available at Davis Tech. In addition to being a prerequisite for the Practical Nurse (PN) program, the CNA course will give you a great introduction to the nursing profession, and you will learn vital skills that will be built upon in the PN program.

Once you complete your CNA, you can get a job and get experience doing hands-on patient care. This will give you additional points on the PN program application. From there, you can go on to complete all the prerequisite and support courses required for PN admission and/or graduation.

How do I apply for the Practical Nurse Program?

The application document is available during our select application times (See “When can I apply for the Practical Nurse program?”). To apply:

  • Go to
  • Select the "Apply Now!" Tab. Under Step 2 is a link to the Practical Nurse Program Application. The link will take you to a pdf file you can print out and either hand-deliver to Student Services or mail in to the Davis Tech Practical Nurse program by the deadline. We will only accept applications that are postmarked by the deadline.
  • Step 3 is only completed after acceptance into the program.
What are the requirements for the Practical Nurse Program?

To be considered qualified for the program, applicants:

  • Must be at least 18 years old
  • Have graduation high school (or equivalent)
  • Have 3.0 or better cumulative GPA at the time of application
  • NLN PAXTM Pre-admission Exam composite schore of 100 or higher.

Additionally, all prerequisite and support courses must be passed with a C grade or better.

  • High School GPA is not calculated into the cumulative GPA once 15 college credits have been completed.
  • All university and/or college courses will be combined to produce one GPA.
  • Remedial Math courses will not be included in the credit and GPA total. These include Math courses below the Intermediate Algebra level.
  • If the same course was taken two or more times, the most recent course grade will be used to compute the GPA and the previous course grade(s) will be eliminated.

The following courses are prerequisite courses and must be completed by the first day of the PN program:

  • Integrated Human Anatomy & Physiology I (HTHS 1110) or Human Anatomy (ZOOL 2100)
  • Integrated Human Anatomy & Physiology II (HTHS 1111) or Human Physiology (ZOOL 2200)
  • Introductory Psychology (PSY 1010) or Human Development (CHF 1500)
  • Foundations in Nutrition (NUTR 1020)

The following course is a support course and must be completed before the second PN Semester:

  • Introductory Pathophysiology (HTHS 2230)

In addition, applicants must have a current Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) state certification prior to starting the program.

For more information on how we select candidates for our program, please see “How do you select applicants?”

What prerequisite/support course are offered at the Davis Tech?

The Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) course is available at Davis Tech. For more details about the CNA course at Davis Tech, go to

The other prerequisite and support courses can be taken at Weber State University or another regionally accredited university (restrictions may apply; if you have concerns about courses you have taken qualifying for prerequisite or support courses, please contact us).

When can I apply for the Practical Nurse Program?

Qualified applicants can apply three times a year for our program. You can see the next application dates on our webpage under the Summary & Costs tab.

For more information on the class schedule, please see “What courses are in the Practical Nurse program?”

How do you select applicants?

The Admissions Committee has a set of policies and procedures that are used to select our future students. Candidates are selected based on a competitive point system split into five areas:

Area 1: Cumulative grade point average (GPA). The higher your cumulative GPA, the more points you will receive. We use your high school GPA until you have 15 or more college credits completed.

Area 2: Completed Prerequisite and/or Support Courses: Completing prerequisite and/or support courses before you apply will award you points.  More points will also be awarded if all prerequisite and support courses are completed at the time of application with a 3.0 GPA or higher in those courses.  For a list of prerequisite and support courses, please see “What are the requirements for the Practical Nurse Program?”

Area 3: NLN PAX™ Nursing Pre-Admission Examination: The National League of Nursing (NLN) PAX™ Pre-admission Exam will cover reading comprehension, mathematical skills, and knowledge of basic science. We believe that these are fundamental skills that will help our students through nursing school and throughout their career as a nurse. 

The PAX will be required of all applicants and an exam score must be submitted by the application deadline (applications and PAX scores may be submitted separately). Applicants must have a composite score of 100 or higher to qualify for the program. The higher the composite score, the more points you will receive on your application. Applicants may take the exam up to 4 times a year and scores will be accepted for up to one year. The PAX cannot be waived by having a degree or other test scores, such as the TEAS.

More information about the PAX exam can be found on our webpage under the Summary & Costs tab.

Area 4: Completion of Progression Requirements: This area gives points to applicants who have completed requirements for progression into the Weber State University (WSU) RN program: CHEM 1050/1110, QL Math, ENGL 1010/2010. Please go to to review these requirements.

Area 5: Additional Areas. This area gives points for each of the categories below:

  • Paid medical work experience, such as 6+ months working as a CNA, Medical Assistant, Surgical Technician, Respiratory Therapist, Paramedic, or EMT.
  • A typed, personal letter that is at least one page and no more than two pages in length describing why professionalism in nursing is important.
  • References: three from a supervisor, employer, or teacher.
  • Reapplication points are only given to applicants that apply a second time for the next consecutive application cycle.
  • Points will be given to applicants that can prove personal military status (Active Duty, Reserves, Retired, Honorably Discharged, etc.).  

Points Summary:


CriteriaMax Points
Cumulative GPA 4
NLN PAX Pre-admission Exam 3
Completed Prerequisite and/or Support Courses 2
Completed Program Requirements with 3.0 GPA 4
Completion of Progression Requirements 1.5
Medical Work Experience 1
Reference Letters 1
Personal Letter 1
Re-application Points .25
Veteran Points .25
When will I know if I’ve been accepted into the program?

It usually takes six weeks after each application deadline to process all applications and mail letters to every applicant.

How competitive is the application process for the Practical Nurse program?

The application process is very competitive. We typically receive between 100-200 applications each cycle for a class of 32 students.

Is the Practical Nurse program self-paced?

Unlike most of the programs offered at Davis Tech, the Practical Nurse program is taught in a “defined-entry, defined-exit” method. This means that all students attend the same courses at the same times set up for the program. For more information, please see “What are the days/hours of the Practical Nurse program?”

What courses are in the Practical Nurse program?

We have made some exciting changes to our program curriculum.  We are introducing a new Orientation to Practical Nursing course that is designed to prepare students entering Davis Tech Practical Nurse Program and for clinical rotations within the community. 

We have made adjustments to our program courses and have listed those details in our Course Descriptions.

What are the days/hours of the Practical Nurse program?

The PN program starts with the Orientation to Practical Nursing course which will meet at Davis Tech 2-3 times a week from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. for 6-8 weeks.  This first part of the PN Program will start in February, July, and October each year.

Theory courses for the program start in January, May, and August, after completing Orientation to Practical Nursing, and are held on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. There may be some skills labs or pass-offs that will keep you after class until 6:30 p.m. Clinical courses are held on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The exact hours of your clinical courses will depend on which hospital you are assigned, but they are typically 8-12 hours long. No part-time or evening hours are available at this time.

Do I have to get a CNA if I have other medical certifications?

Yes. A current Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) state certification is required before the first day of the Practical Nurse program, even if you have other medical certifications.

Do I need to turn in transcripts with my application?

Yes, we require official (sealed) transcripts with each new application.  We will also accept an electronic copy of your official transcripts from schools that offer that service.  Transcripts must be sent from each college the applicant has attended.  High school transcripts do not need to be sent if you have more than 15 college credits completed. Double check that test scores are included for classes that were tested out of (i.e.: AP, Accuplacer, ALEKS, CLEP, etc.)  Please consult Weber State University about evaluating your international transcripts.

Transcripts can be included with your application or mailed separately.  They can be mailed to:

Davis Technical College
Practical Nurse Program
550 South 300 East
Kaysville, UT 84037

Electronic transcripts should be sent to:

We cannot receive faxed transcripts at this time.

Official Transcripts must be ordered by the deadline, but can be received after that date as schools may need time to process your request.

TIP: When ordering transcripts online, you may need to put “Practical Nurse Program” in the first address line so your transcripts are directed to the right department within the school.

How should I format the Personal Letter for the Practical Nurse application?

One of the items that we’ve required you to turn in with your Davis Tech PN application is a Personal Letter. It is a typewritten letter, at least one page and no more than two pages in length, describing why professionalism in nursing is important.

You can choose how to format your Personal Letter – it does not have to be written in a specific style. If you would like to, you can address it to the Admissions Committee.

Does Davis Tech offer an RN program?

Weber State University (WSU) offers a contractual RN completion nursing program at the Davis Tech campus. This program is only for those who have successfully completed a Practical Nurse program. Current Davis Tech PN students are given first preference for this program, former Davis Tech PN students receive second preference, and then graduates of other programs are considered to fill any remaining slots. The nursing facility is housed on the Davis Tech campus. If admitted to this program, you are enrolled at Weber State, but take your nursing courses at the Davis Tech campus.

We recommend that you check WSU’s nursing webpage,, to compare their program requirements with ours so you can make a seamless transition between both programs.

Registrar and Records

How can I order a transcript without access to the internet?

You may submit a letter which includes the following information:

  • Student First and Last Name (previous and current, if applicable)
  • Date of Birth or Student ID number
  • The program and approximate year of attendance
  • Student’s signature and current e-mail address, if applicable

Submit letter to College Cashier OR

  • Fax to : (801) 593-2539 OR
  • Mail to:
    Davis Technical College
    Attn: Cashier
    550 East 300 South
    Kaysville, UT 84037
How do I know if there is a hold on my transcript/records?

If there are any outstanding balances (fees, tuition, etc) on your account, a hold is placed on the account and transcripts/records cannot be sent. Please check with the Cashier in Student Services to resolve any outstanding balances.

How do I transfer Davis Tech courses to other colleges/universities?

Educational institutions accept transfer credit according to their policies and procedures but will generally require an official transcript to initiate the process. Please see the transferring institution for advisement.

Specific articulations agreements exist between Davis Tech and some local institutions. Because Davis Tech is focused on terminal job-skills training, students should not expect any transferability not specifically covered by one of the agreements. However, in all cases, students should make contact with the receiving institution(s) before enrolling at Davis Tech.

Are faxed transcripts considered official?
Most agencies/education institutions will not consider a faxed transcript official because the seal is not visible on a faxed copy. Please contact the agency/institution for advisement.
How can I get an unofficial transcript?

Unofficial Transcripts may be obtained:

What if the recipient/s of the records do/does not receive the original transcript?

Please contact the Customer Service Department at:
Or visit:

Why does it take 3-5 days to process a transcript?
All official documents must be verified before being released from the College. Most transcripts are processed within a few days, depending on the volume of requests.
How do I find out if my transcript request was processed?

You can track your order on the National Student Clearing house site.

Is there a charge for my transcript?
The fee for an official transcript is $3. There is no charge for unofficial transcripts.
How can I order my transcripts electronically?
How do I request an Enrollment Verification Letter?

Enrollment Verification is used to verify actual enrollment for other Educational Institutions, Insurance Companies, or for a variety of other reasons. The form provides dates of enrollment, program of study, and enrollment status (half-time, full-time, etc.).  There is no charge for Enrollment Verification which can be ordered at

Education Verification forms and Company Verification pre-defined forms may be faxed to (801) 593-2539.  Processed within 1-2 business days.

Students with Disabilities

How do I obtain an application for ADA Accommodations?

The ADA Applications are kept in Students Services, in the main building at the Davis Tech campus. To obtain an application, check in with the Student Services desk. When brought into Student Services, ask for an application.

What does the application process require of me?

You will be required to provide information about how your disability impacts your functioning in an education setting. In most situations, you will be referred to an ADA counselor to discuss needs and to arrange accommodations.

What type of documentation would be helpful to determine eligibility?

Documentation needs to help Davis Tech to understand the nature of your disability. IEPs from High School, evaluations from Vocational Rehabilitation, letters from medical professionals are some examples.

Who do I call about the ADA services that the Davis Tech provides?

Please call: Maria Caballero at 801-593-2396 or Dina Nielsen 801-593-2319

Who is responsible for paying for evaluations or re-evaluations of my disability?

The student is responsible for providing verification of disability and to pay for evaluations. If a student is working with a rehabilitation agency, he/she should request that the information regarding diagnosis, functional limitations and appropriate recommendations for accommodations be provided, if possible, through that agency.

What types of services might be offered to students with disabilities?

A variety of services appropriate for qualifying disabilities may include, but are not limited to:

  • Appropriate classroom adaptations or accommodations
  • Note takers or readers
  • testing accommodations
  • Taped textbooks
  • Braille or large print materials
  • Specialized equipment like screen reading software, screen enlargements, etc.
  • Sign language interpreter services
  • Study skills, test taking strategy, and learning style classes
  • Specialized software
  • Campus counseling and referral to community services
  • Other services
What services are not provided under ADA Accommodations?
  • Personal Tutors
  • Personal Aides
  • Transportation
  • Computers or software for off campus use
How do I access Davis Tech ADA policy?

Please click here to view the Student with Disabilities policy.

Whom do I talk to if I think I am being discriminated against?

If you feel that you are being discriminated against, for any reason, and you cannot resolve your concerns immediately through self-advocacy in your training environment, you are encouraged to see a member of the College Counseling Team in Student Services. You can ask to see the first counselor available to review your concerns and talk about what to do. If your informal efforts to resolve your concerns are not working out, you can talk to your Counselor about the Student Grievance Policy. You may prefer to talk to a Director of Programs (in the Training Division) or the Director of Student Affairs (in Student Services) about your concerns. Students may also wish to contact the Office of Civil Rights if they cannot resolve their concerns on campus.

Print Center

Can I use the Computers in the Print Center to log onto my personal email/websites?

No, to ensure cyber security is maintained we do not allow anyone to use our computers but Print Center staff and will not log into personal accounts or download from websites. You must have the file itself either on a flash drive or emailed to us at There are computers available for student use in the library across from Student Services.

Can I send the link to the documents I want to print?

No, to ensure cyber security is maintained we do not click on links to websites or shared file drives like Google Drive. You must have the file itself either on a flash drive or emailed to us at There are computers available for student use in the library across from Student Services.

What is the best file format to bring/send my documents?

PDF's are the best file format for printing. This ensures that the format stays the same as how you designed it. If we do not have the same programs, versions for programs, fonts, MAC vs. PC etc, it will change the way your document looks. To ensure the intended product is produced, PDF's are the best option.

Are your copiers self-serve?

No, the copiers here in the Print Center will require a Print Center Clerk's assistance. There is a self-serve machine that takes money available for use in the Bookstore.

How do I pay for my copies?

To pay in the Print Center you must have exact change in cash or bills no higher than $5.00. If you have a card we can produce a receipt for you to take to the Bookstore or Student Services for payment.

What if I bring my own paper?

Outside paper is evaluated on a case by case basis. If we decide we can print on it, we will not replace or reimburse any paper that jams. Bringing in outside paper does not lower the copy/printing price.

What kind of information should I include in my email request?

  • How many copies?
  • Color or balck/white?
  • Paper type?
  • Single or double sided?
  • Staples or hole punching?
  • Any finishing? (Binding, folding, cutting, etc.)